In my family, we get "Happy Birthday" sang to us on the actual birth day (still do, actually), then the official party, with presents and sweets, would be done on a weekend in close proximity to the birthday. Thanks to my friend Katie, who was appalled to discover on the little man's first birthday that I didn't have anything for the actual day, the kiddos and I now celebrate every birthday first thing in the morning. Apparently, that's what her family did, and I have to admit the kiddos wake up on their birthday practically vibrating they are so excited to see what is waiting for them. So the night before the little man's official birthday, I decorated the kitchen table, got donuts for breakfast and set out some of his presents.
After he had torn open all his gifts, we moved on to the Birthday Donut and official wish. I'm not sure he actually made a wish in his desire to eat the donut, but it's the tradition that counts. Going off to school is always anticlimactic, but off we went.I invited the Ekins' over for dinner, and tried my best to set a nice little spread. Considering my normal kitchen mishaps, I think this actually went off pretty well. I went with the one thing I can normally cook without catastrophe, spaghetti, and let the little man pick what he wanted for dessert, which was brownies.
The little man had a great day, and we began to prepare for his week-end celebration with a school friend at Chuck E Cheese. More to come on that later, but I must get back to being lazy, oops, I mean busy.




No comments:
Post a Comment