Monday, November 30, 2009

Important Questions

In the car with my girl this afternoon on our way to pick up the little man, she asked me if I believed God was real. One of the things about being a parent is that you never know when the important questions are going to come. I mean, we were just be-bopping along, singing to Hannah Montana, and boom! Is God real? I mentally braced myself for this important conversation.

Me: "Yes, I believe God is real. I know he is real."

With my breath held, I waited for her next question, hoping I would be able to respond in a way that connected with her.

My Girl: "Are dinosaurs real?"

Huh? That's not what I thought was coming next. I was preparing myself for a theological discussion with my six year old. I definitely was not thinking dinosaurs.

Me: "Yes, dinosaurs are real. I mean, they're not alive today, but they were once, like a really long time ago."

My Girl: "Oh, like in the 1970's a long time ago?"

Right. Next important conversation, please. With my knowledge collected since the time of the dinosaurs, I might just be more prepared than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive