It started yesterday after church. Doe, Kissy and I headed to the bookstore with the kiddos. We weren't buying anything, just browsing. We love bookstores. And so do the kiddos, which is a bonus. So there we all are, when my girl comes across a new Junie B Jones book. I had bought her a different title in the series a few weeks ago ago. It was sitting at home on her dresser, half read. It was her first chapter book. So proud of that girl. Anyway, she wanted to get the new book. I made a deal with her. I said that as soon as she finished the book she had, we would go out the very next day and get her a new one. We pinky promised and it was a done deal. When we got home last night, all of a sudden she was Evelyn Wood, speed reading along.
Okay, fast forward to today. I picked the little man up from VPK, we came home and had lunch, then it was nap time. He normally rests from about 1.30p-2.30p, leaving plenty of time to make it to my girl's school at 3.30p to pick her up. Today, however, he must have been very tired. And I guess I was, too. I promise I only meant to lay down with him for a minute to rest my eyes. Next thing I knew, it was 3.30p and he was asking if we could wake up. 3.30p?! I flew out of bed and hustled both of us into the car. We were both in our socks, and I wasn't planning on putting shoes on our feet at all. We didn't have to get out of the car and were just coming back home, but our slippers were right by the door and it was chilly out, so I threw them on. Yeah, I'm sure you can see where this is going.
When we got to school, my girl first wanted to know why we were late. Ummm, right. Then she was bursting to inform me that she had finished her Junie B Jones book, reading during quiet time at school, and could we go right to the bookstore because I had pinky promised and you never fake on a pinky promise. So could we go?

Sometimes there is a very good reason to be out in public in the middle of the day in full on slippers.

This girl's excitement for reading totally makes up for slipper-gate, don't you think?

1 comment:
She looks so happy, and you are a good mom (especially in your slippers)...did you also happen to have on a robe? ;)
Post a Comment