So it was just another regular day. I picked the kidlets up from the bus stop and headed for home. As we pulled in to the driveway, my girl jumped out and headed straight into the house, because the faster she can get her homework done, the faster she can play outside. Girl has her priorities. Manny? Yeah, he's just taking his time, chatting about what happened at school, and following the exact same route out of the car that his sister took. I'm grabbing all my crap from the car, listening to him chatter. All of a sudden, he lets out an ear piercing, blood curdling scream, backing away from the car in terror. The next few seconds are kind of a blur, as they are when you fear your child is in mortal danger. I dropped all of my stuff onto the floor and tried to get out, managing to get caught in the seatbelt that I hadn't yet unclipped. My sweet neighbor, William, came flying out of his garage in our direction, followed by his wife. I finally managed to untangle myself from the car, and we all reached Manny at pretty much the same time, who is by now practically incoherent with fear, but pointing at the driveway and still shrieking. And what exactly was the cause of Manny's apparent near death experience?
Now, to be fair, it was a GIANT bug. I MIGHT have jumped behind William, and sort of whimpered. And when his wife walked over to the bug to step on it, I MIGHT have screamed and looked away. But who's to say? In case you're wondering, we did all survive. My sweet, very understanding neighbors killed the monster bug and disposed of it's enormous bug carcass. And when we came inside, my girl was still diligently completing her homework. When I asked if she had heard all the commotion, she said "Yeah, but I was doing my homework." Like I said, girl has her priorities.
And for your viewing pleasure, here is a brief re-enactment of our very traumatic day.

No comments:
Post a Comment