Monday, June 22, 2009

Facing the Giant

So church on Sunday explored the story of David and Goliath. I know the story, remember learning about it in Sunday school when I was just a kid. In fact, I'm sure I must have made a noodle art project representing the epic battle and famous slingshot victory. But this Sunday's sermon asked some questions and brought to mind some aspects I definitely didn't grasp as I was making my noodle art many years ago. So the story in a nutshell: Saul and the Israelites are in the valley, battling the Philistines. The Philistine giant Goliath instructs Saul to send only one man to battle him, mano y mano so to speak, and whoever is the victor in that single battle will gain victory for his people. Needless to say, the Israelite men weren't exactly lining up to battle Goliath. Along comes David, a shepherd, and says he will go. Saul isn't so keen on the idea; David is just a young man, and a shepherd, not a warrior. If David loses against Goliath, which he surely will, Saul and all his people must submit to the Philistines and become their slaves. After much convincing by David, Saul permits him to represent the Israelites in battle. Saul tries to give David his own personal shield, protective clothing and sword. The equipment is so heavy, David can hardly walk. David returns the lot to Saul and instead picks up his staff, his slingshot and five smooth stones from the river at his feet. David meets Goliath in battle and with one terrifically aimed stone to Goliath's temple, the giant comes down.

What stuck with me this time, and with this telling of the story, was the perfect belief of David. It didn't matter to him what the world thought he could or should do, he believed. He didn't feel the need to suit up in someone else's armor to face the giant, he took what he knew, because he believed. With absolute faith that he would find what he needed, he reached into the river, and pulled five stones. Armed as such, he went to face the giant, knowing he did not go alone and certain he would no longer be trapped in the valley.

In my life these days, I often feel trapped in a valley. Wanting desperately to no longer be a slave to the insecurities and guilt of divorce, yet not sure I have it in me to beat that giant. But what if I just believed? What if I just took off this anger and self doubt that's not mine and walked to meet the giant? What could I do if I just trusted that everything I needed was already right at my feet? These are the questions I am asking myself.

Now, on a much lighter note, when I retold the story to my kids before bedtime and asked what lessons they learned from the story, my three year old son said he learned that it wasn't right to throw rocks at people because you really could hurt them. Hopefully this lesson will resonate the next time we are in my neighbor's garden, and my little man won't chuck the decorative garden stones into the brush at the back of our houses. My six year old daughter, who had actually been in the church with us during the David and Goliath sermon, was more concerned with where my version of the story had come from. Apparently my version, complete with different voices and big arm movements, didn't sound anything like the sermon she had half heard while she was in church, and she was suspicious. After much discussion, and promising on my part that it really was the same story, she decided what she had learned was that she should pay more attention in church so she could tell if I was making stuff up when I told them the stories later. My beautiful, smart, funny children.....even in the valley there is laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive